When you hit the road with kids, you gotta be prepared. Here’s a quick list of things to pack to help keep the trip smooth sailing.
SNACKS. Packing good snacks for traveling can be tricky. You want it to be easy to eat, easy clean up, filling, and healthy. Here’s some ideas to fill little tummies:
- Slice celery into sticks and place in a tupperware container or clean used peanut butter jar that is 1/4- 1/3 filled with peanut butter. Use smaller containers for individual snacks.
- slice up fruit like apples, mango, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, etc. Toss in a cup with a lid or travel bowl. Do the same with veggies – carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumber.
- Make sandwich wraps with your favorite fillings.
- Buy reusable, BPA-free water bottles, and fill with 1/2 ice and 1/2 water.
- Those new fruit pouches are excellent for travel, but watch out for added sugar. To avoid extra sugar hyping up the kids, check the baby food section for pureed fruit-in-a-pouch. 100% real fruit, no added sugar or preservatives, and they taste just as good, if not better! Plus, there is WAY more variety!
For easy clean up, keep a ziploc bag or other container in the car with baby wipes, hand sanitizer, and some napkins.
SUNBLOCK. Always remember sunblock. I have a bottle that I leave in the car just for outings, because I always seem to forget it.
FIRST AID KIT. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I always keep first aid in my car as well. Nothing huge, just some band-aids, some antiseptic spray, gauze, and an eyewash cup ( my kids are ALWAYS getting dirt in their eyes. Trust me, it can ruin a fun outing in no time flat).
CAMERA. Don’t leave this in your car, but definitely don’t forget it!
ENTERTAINMENT. Especially if you have a long drive ahead. In my car, we have paper, markers, mini chalkboards and chalk, books, sticker books, travel games, and sometimes, for long trips, disposable cameras for the kids. TRUST ME. You want to make this ride enjoyable for them, or it won’t be enjoyable for YOU!
Do you have more ideas for what to pack? Share the wealth of your experience, and tell us what your kids like for in the car!